Exercising for pleasure. Exercise gets your blood pumping & gets you on a feel good buzz due to the endorphins that flood your body as your exercise.
When you are doing an exercise that you genuinely enjoy – it may be cycling, dancing ( a personal fav), hiking or skiing. It is obviously for much more than just your fitness. It’s for fun, pleasure, enjoyment. You feel amazing pushing your body to the limits, stretching it, improving techniques, your posture & honing your skills in this area.
Exercising helps to reduce stress levels. It’s a great release of energy so it is perfect for negative energy release. Going for a nice walk can clear your head and give you a new perspective on things.
Exercising is a great way to take care of your body. You feel good about yourself and you are doing something for you. It can help improve your body image. This may be through new tone, definition. Or it maybe through seeing the strength, ability and skill that your body has & all that you are capable of.
Expending energy through exercise also makes you feel more energised and less sluggish. Often if you are in a lazy lay on the couch all day mood, jumping up and shaking your ass or going for a walk can really get you motivated for the day and switch up your mood.
So make sure you are enjoying moving your body. Do something each day which you find fun. Don’t forget to do some yin & yang exercise – some intense & some calm slow moving. Doing something calm & slow such as yoga, has a whole different effect on the body in terms of stress levels, mental clarity, helping to reduce cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone & can often be responsible for excess weight which is hard to shift. We are so often in fight or flight mode in this modern time & sleeping less especially getting to bed at midnight or later, can contributes to a rise in cortisol levels.
So let me know in the comments below. What exercise do you enjoy? How does it make you feel?
- Grow your own sprouts – lovely to see some ‘life’ in your kitchen at this time of year. Easy to grow, amazing nutrient source & delicious.
- Add a matcha green tea to your day. Nothing like a hot cuppa on a frosty day. Matcha has many health benefits including enhancing mood, antioxidants & fights against viruses and bacteria.
- Probiotics – 85% of our immune system resides in our gut! Probiotics reestablish the proper balanpce of good bacteria in the gut. Wholefood probiotics are best as they are real food or make your own cultured foods – sauerkraut, kimchi etc.
- Juice for nutrient assimilation at a cellular level. A great combo for this time of year >> orange, carrots, ginger and turmeric. Bonus is that it looks like sunshine to remind us of those summer days we may be missing.
- Move! Don’t let winter slow you down too much. Exercise produces endorphins – a feel good buzz, to help keep the winter blues at bay. Dance it off, practice yoga, do a one song work out. It’s a great way to keep warm.
I would love to hear from you. Let me know in the comments below how you stay well in winter.
1 Eat real food
Eating good quality whole food like fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains and meats every three or four hours throughout the day will have you eating a lot closer to your caveman ancestors. This will help to stabilise blood sugar and metabolism so you are not living with energy highs and lows and needing caffeine hits throughout the day to keep you going.
2. Take any opportunity to exercise
Park a couple of blocks further away from work so you have a nice walk to start and finish your day. Eat lunch somewhere different each day so you can explore your environment on foot. Get active with the family in the evenings and weekends.
3. Spend quality time with family and friends
Socializing with family and friends should be a happy time for you and therefore a great way to let go of some of the work stress from the day. Laughter has proven health benefits and lifts the spirit.
4. Take time to rest, relax and sleep
Elite athletes know the importance of rest and recovery to strengthen and grow. Give yourself some quiet time at the end of the day to help tell your body that the day is over and it is time to relax and recover. A great way to do this is to do some gentle stretching exercises before bed. Do this and you will sleep better and wake feeling energized
Want more of this direct to your inbox? Join us here
I would love to hear your number 5 in the comments below. What do you think is important to enjoying wellness?